The Apollo, once located at 624 H Street, NE, was one of the best-known and most prestigious movie houses on H Street.
It was built by a group of investors on the site of the open-air Imp Park theater for about $16,000 and scheduled to open about September 10, 1913. In September of 1915, Harry Crandall bought the Apollo and it was operated by him, and later his successor Warner Bros., until it closed. In October of 1922, Crandall was also able to buy the land the Apollo occupied for a reported $63,000.
The exterior of the Apollo was constructed of ornamental brick and stone with lights over each of the three entrances. The arched entryway was brilliantly lighted with a large electric arc and many smaller lamps. The flooring had a mosaic work border and the word “Apollo” inset in the mosaic blocks near the center of the entrance.
The theatre was sold to a car dealer in late 1950 and plans were made to convert it into a garage. Ultimately, the building was torn down.