Then (left): Circa 1920, the Cosmos Club. It moved to Lafayette Square in 1882. Eventually, the Club occupied the Tayloe and Dolley Madison Houses on the eastern side of the Square, and razed two rowhouses between them for additional space. Prompted to relocate by the federal government, the Club moved to its present location in the Townsend House in 1952.
Now (right): The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The court occupies the Howard T. Markey National Courts Building, the Tayloe House, the former Cosmos Club, and the Dolley Madison House.