This fall GGWash has focused on catalyzing and supporting YIMBY advocacy, and the response has been immediate. Check out what urbanist neighbors across the region have been doing in just a few short months, along with the biggest stories we've been writing and reading at GGWash.
What we're writing @GGWash
Reston enters the Upside Down when it comes to zoning
Hundreds of Reston residents are upset about zoning changes, but County officials say they are simply enacting necessary changes to comply with the city’s already agreed-upon master plan. Read more »
Here’s why this old Silver Spring library should become affordable homes
Earlier this month, Montgomery County released two proposals for what to do with the former library in downtown Silver Spring. But only one proposal includes much-needed affordable housing, and that’s the one county officials should pick. Read more »
Three things you need to know to get land-use woke
America’s history of land use is fundamentally racist, exclusionary, and exploitative. If we’re going to have productive conversations about where to go, we need to understand what got us here. Read more »
What we're reading (besides GGWash)
- A global guide: how cities around the world are staying affordable (Sightline) Case studies of different cities around the world form a global rundown of how other places are maintaining affordable housing options... better, perhaps, than we are.
- Only the oldest teachers in DC get to buy a house (WAMU) It takes 20 years as a teacher to be able to afford a house in DC, partially because the rent you pay in the meantime is so damn high.
- California passes a boatload of new housing laws (LA Times) Governor Brown signed 15 sweeping pieces of legislation recently that not only will lead to more homes being built, but more affordable ones as well. #YIMBYs4thewin
What we're doing: Catalyzing and supporting local urbanists in action
Last month I shared our new efforts to give grassroots and digital advocacy support to readers and supporters as they work to bring more homes and more affordable homes to their neighborhoods. Since then over 250 GGWash supporters have gotten involved in local urbanist campaigns all across the region, sending emails to officials and attending events. Below are some active campaigns right now. Click to get involved!
You can also sign up to receive updates for efforts near you, and as always reach out if you have an issue you'd like to work on! email@example.com
What you can do
Click to take action in a local campaign!
- Live in Reston? Support more mixed-use development there! A proposed density increase could support mixed-use development and growth, but a large group of opponents is fighting back hard. Sign up to stay involved in this ongoing campaign.
- Live in Silver Spring? Support affordable homes near Metro! The County Executive will soon choose between two redevelopment plans for the old Silver Spring Library site. One has 92 homes and deeply affordable senior homes, the other has zero homes. Help county leaders make the right choice here.
- Live in Arlington? Support parking reforms near Metro! The Arlington County Board is soon considering reducing parking minimums along Metro corridors. Tell to them to prioritize places for people to live over parking!
- Live in DC? Support a better Metro station for Union Market! The DC Council is considering transportation improvements for Union Market. Ask councilmembers to prioritize a better, more accessible Metro station.
- Live in Prince George's County? Support better zoning near Metro! Prince George's County is updating their entire zoning code. Among the many proposals is one that fixes what is currently inefficient zoning near Metro stations. Tell planners you support this change!