Image by Victoria Pickering licensed under Creative Commons.

Wherever you go to watch fireworks this week, you’ll be surrounded by some form of landscape architecture. Take the opportunity to visit an “exhibition [that] highlights award-winning works of landscape architecture… includ[ing] parks, courtyards, plazas, historic landscapes, and more.” You can “celebrate the opening of the 2019 Professional Awards of the Potomac Chapter [of the American Society of Landscape Architects]” featuring “award-winning works of landscape architecture around the region” - find the exhibition launch party at the District Architecture Center (421 7th St. NW) from 6:30 to 8 pm tonight (Monday July 1), RSVP here.

Other events from around the region:

Tuesday, July 2

How will DC build toward a clean energy future? From 5 to 8 pm at the District Architecture Center (421 7th St. NW), catch up with the implications of DC’s recently passed Clean Energy Act on the buildings that make up our city. For $25 (or free for students or members of participating architecture organizations), attend this “introduction to the legislation and… understand how to communicate to clients about the implications of the new policy and how to plan for it.”

The class organizer notes that “buildings represent 74% of carbon emissions and the largest opportunity to help DC meet its clean energy and carbon reduction goals. But with around 2% of building inventory turning over each year, new building requirements will only start to scratch the surface. DC’s new legislation addresses the other 98% of building stock by implementing a Building Energy Performance Standard (BEPS) that will affect all buildings 10,000 squarefeet or larger in DC.” Registration is required.

Saturday, July 6

Celebrate your independence from the midweek grind: Keep the patriotic party going by checking out Bladensburg’s “FREE Fireworks Spectacular event in celebration of Independence Day!” Between 6 and 9:30 pm at Bladensburg Waterfront Park (4601 Annapolis Rd, Bladensburg, MD), enjoy “food trucks… entertainment from DJ Flava from 93.9 WKYS; moon bounces; face painting; pony rides & other kids’ activities… [and] a 20-minute Grand Finale fireworks display & much more!” The organizers remind you that “no personal fireworks, grills, alcoholic beverages or tents allowed!” Find more information here.

Check out more urbanist events at Do you have an event you’d like to see featured in the weekly events post? Submit it here!

Tagged: events

Jeb Stenhouse is a clean energy economist who wants to help everyone enjoy livable, walkable public places, and to reach them by as many clean transportation options as possible.  He studied in Montpellier, France and still marvels at the quality of life in its car-free downtown (and the 15 pounds he lost roaming its charming streets).  Between adventures, Jeb lives with his husband in Adams Morgan.