The Washington region is a diverse place, and people value different features in the places that they call home. The core of GGWash’s urbanist values is the belief that our cities should be be diverse, safe, sustainable, and built on a human scale.
The neighborhood is the ultimate expression of urbanist principles. When people feel connected to their neighborhood — because they can afford their home; connect with their fellow residents; easily make trips to work, school, and recreation — our communities are stronger.
Our urbanism beliefs and principles
With the assistance of our dedicated board members and other volunteers, GGWash has articulated the central values that guide our efforts to educate and organize communities in the Washington region.
- We believe in a diverse, mixed-income region where people of all backgrounds and means are welcomed into a wide range of communities, striving to reduce ethnic and income segregation around the region.
- We believe in urban planning around people, not cars, that designs for walkable urban places which offer an opportunity for residents and visitors to safely interact with the built environment on a human scale.
- We advocate for transportation options that support communities and offer a choice of safe, reliable, affordable ways for the region’s residents to get where they need or want to go, including a healthy and effective transit system, top-quality bicycle infrastructure, safe and comfortable walking routes, and innovative new transportation solutions.
- We advocate for an adequate supply of homes that range in type, size, and price, distributed sustainably and equitably across our region and which offer everyone the choice to live in a walkable urban place.
- We support responsible and equitable use of land and resources and minimal environmental impact by focusing growth and development in walkable urban places, near existing jobs, and around transit stations and commercial corridors. We support designing buildings and public space in an environmentally sustainable way.
- We encourage fair and reliable delivery of basic services, including education, that support urban quality of life for all residents, provide a pathway to economic mobility for residents of all parts of the region, and make urban living a viable choice for families, seniors, and all other people.
If you support these values, we hope you’ll join the GGWash Neighborhood
We decided to name our membership program the “GGWash Neighborhood” because we saw how the neighborhood metaphor reflects our central mission as a volunteer-driven nonprofit. We want the GGWash Neighborhood to be your online front porch — the place where you go to talk about how to make our community better for everyone.
Our goal is that this online forum and other aspects of the membership program not only strengthen GGWash as an organization, but improve our ability to advance urbanist principles throughout the Washington region.