Starting Thursday, August 23, you'll begin to see advertisements on the site. We told you we were planning to do it to generate revenue to support the site, and now we are.
Although GGWash is growing our advocacy and organizing program, we are also a nonprofit media organization. The vast majority of media sites nowadays incorporate advertisements as a revenue stream, so we decided to explore this revenue model ourselves.
Over the past six months, we've consulted with peer sites who have integrated ads effectively, and asked you, readers, for your thoughts. We've also done some revenue projections and we believe that an advertising program can indeed provide a sustainable revenue source to help cover the costs of running the site.
Now we're ready to press “go” and launch our advertising program.
Some core values that will guide our advertising program
As we mentioned previously, a few core principles will guide our pilot advertising program:
- Strive to make ads fit with the design of the site, keeping them as unobtrusive as possible.
- Prioritize advertisement partners that fit with the ethos and values of GGWash. We aren't trying algorithmically selected ads at this time.
- Keep business and editorial decisions separate.
You can expect to see advertisements in three main “zones” on the site and one in our daily email.
- Zone 1: Homepage above the fold. This ad placement will replace a few of the links in the “trending posts” section in the right sidebar.
- Zone 2: Homepage below the fold. This ad placement will push down the “recent posts” links in the right sidebar.
- Zone 3: Post pages above the fold. This ad placement will replace a few of the “also of interest” links in the right sidebar.
- Zone 4: Daily email
We hope these strike the right balance between generating revenue to support the site and and not intruding on the reader experience.
Want to help us get mission-aligned advertisers?
We are excited about the advertisers who have jumped at the chance to advertise on GGWash so far. But we're looking for more partners who share GGWash's commitment to an even greater Washington region. Do you work for a company who would see value in advertising on our site? Share your suggestions with us here.