The Washington, DC region is a great place to live for so many people, and the Greater Greater Washington community believes it can be a greater place to live for so many more. Greater Greater Washington is a volunteer-driven, nonprofit organization that brings people together online and offline to discuss, organize, and advocate for an inclusive, diverse, growing Washington, DC region where all people can choose to live in walkable urban communities.
We want to live and work in places with sidewalks, bike lanes, and frequent transit; with grocery stores, parks, and plenty of housing choices at attainable prices; that is accessible and welcoming to people of all income levels and backgrounds.
- Our blog informs and educates people around the Washington region and world about the forces that shape our region and the people in it.
- Our advocacy efforts bring together residents to push for a greater region and individual neighborhoods through online and offline organizing.
- DC Sustainable Transportation is a coalition of business, advocacy, and government entities who promote a shared vision for DC transportation. Greater Greater Washington manages the DCST organization and activities.
Who we are
Greater Greater Washington has always been a largely volunteer-driven organization since its founding in 2008. Some volunteers participate by writing and talking about ways the Washington metro region can reflect our shared vision. Others help edit, advise, moderate comments, handle social media, and more. The biggest part of our community is our readers, commenters, and advocates who advance conversations on and offline.
A few of us are the staff and board of directors, who make sure that the organization runs efficiently and smoothly so Greater Greater Washington can continue to create space for intelligent dialogue and action to make our region greater.
- Volunteer contributors
- Editorial board
- Advocacy committee
- Elections committee
- Many more volunteers
- Readers and commenters
- Board of directors
We strive to be transparent about what we do and how we operate, to avoid conflicts of interest. Therefore, we have set up policies around how we will and won't work with businesses and what political activity is permitted.
- Have a general question about this site? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have a suggestion for the Breakfast Links? Submit a tip.
- Have a suggestion for a story that should be on the site? Pitch your idea to us!
- Have an event we should list on our calendar? Submit it to us here.
Meet us in person
Greater Greater Washington hosts happy hours each month around the Washington region. We also organize blogging workshops for new or prospective contributors who are interested in writing. Our calendar also features events hosted by other organizations. Take a look and join us at an upcoming event!
If you are a reporter on deadline and would like to speak to someone about an issue we cover on the blog for a story, you can call us at 202-6561-GGW (202-656-1449). We unfortunately cannot respond to other issues by phone.
Greater Greater Washington is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization. Unless otherwise noted, all articles are the opinions of their authors and not necessarily those of the site's operators or editors.
Many thanks to Derek Hogue of Amphibian Design for designing and developing this website!